Today I received one rejection letter, and one acknowledgement the publication received it.
It’s a good day.
ETA: This is actually my first rejection letter, so I’m happy to have received it, even though it was just a form letter.
Just sent off my very first story submission.
LET THE REJECTION LETTERS COME.
A Question About Publication Rights
So, I know that First Publication Rights are highly valued in the publishing community. I also know that I aspire to publish the stories I have written, which I intend to share via Livestream tonight.
I would imagine that, just as giving a reading in person, a Livestream would not violate these First Publication Rights. However, if I record it, does it do so? Does the fact that it is in an audio/visual format change the fact that it is the same content?
It occurs to me that the larger issue here is that the internet changes how we look at publication, and that the legalities involved need to evolve with that vision. Looking on how muddled the questions here become, I can’t imagine that has been accomplished.
JK Rowling Announces Title & Details of Her Upcoming Novel
Our beautiful hero Jo Rowling (and her new publisher, Little, Brown & Co.) have released more details about her first adult novel!
The 490-page book, titled “A Casual Vacancy”, will be released on September 27, 2012.
Little, Brown & Co. describe the novel on their website:
When Barry Fairweather dies unexpectedly in his early forties, the little town of Pagford is left in shock.
Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.
Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.
And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?
Blackly comic, thought-provoking and constantly surprising, The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.
Here are some links to articles where I got the above information:
- BBC News: JK Rowling Announces Title of First Adult Novel
- The Guardian: JK Rowling: Further Details of First Adult Novel Emerge
- CBS News: J.K. Rowling’s Next Book Revealed: “The Casual Vacancy”
Mark your calendars yeah writers! How exciting!!!
- Thank you to silversoul for writing in and suggesting that I post this video. I LOVE vlogbrothers/nerdfighters/fighting World Suck. silversoul writes: I just saw your post about the girl that was published at 22, and while that’s exciting and I’m happy for her, I saw a great video by Maureen Johnson explaining why getting published that young isn’t such a great idea. I recommend it! It’s called “Dare To Suck” by the Vlogbrothers.
- This also goes well with this article I posted the other day.
- I ALSO am very bad at crossing roundabout intersections in England! The unfortunate thing for me is that I almost have to do this on a daily basis. The fact that I’m still alive is a borderline miracle.